Monday, January 19, 2009

Chipotle Beef

OK, so here's one of the reasons I was unfaithful to my Week 1 menu: Chipotle Beef. It's chunks of beef that have been baked in a spicy mexican-style bbq sauce until they're fork tender. Scott likes this recipe. A lot. And I just happened to have a slab of beef in the fridge, waiting to be thrown into a beef stew....

3 pounds beef chunks(I use the cheapest cut of beef I can find-except london broil-and cut it into big bitish-sized chunks)
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup tomato paste
4 Tbs brown sugar
4 Tbs balsamic vinegar
4 tsp ground chipotle chile pepper(I can't find this here, so I use a combination of regular red chile powder and Mrs. Dash Chipotle Seasoning)
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp salt
black pepper
splash of olive oil

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a baking dish that has a lid. Cover and bake for about 2 hours, or until meat is easily pierced with fork. Taste sauce to see if it needs more salt--mine tends to be too sweet for me, so I usually end up adding more salt. Serve with some kind of carbohydrate that you can drown in the sauce, like mashed garlic potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment