Friday, August 14, 2009

Sugar Cookie Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting and Fresh Berries


It's good to be home. Two months away from a computer made me both dread and anticipate getting back on, but now that I've accepted that my summer vacation is really and truly over, I'm jumping back on the blog wagon. One of the best things about my vacation is that I was by a farmers' market. OK, that's an understatement. What I really mean is that I AM SOOOO JEALOUS OF ALL YOU LUCKY COOKS THAT LIVE BY A FARMERS' MARKET AND CAN REVEL IN THAT GLUTTONY OF FRESH, DELICIOUS PRODUCE!!!!! So, for 4July festivities, I just had to make a dessert that showcased all those ripe, juicy berries that were calling to be rescued from their overflowing containers at the market. I paired those delectable gems with a moist, dense sugar cookie bar that had been topped with a rich and tangy cream cheese frosting. The recipe for the sugar cookie bars came from My Baking Addiction, a blog that I love.

Sugar Cookie Bars
1 cup butter, soft
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
Cream butter and sugar; add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each. Add vanilla and mix well. Add in flour, salt and soda; mix just until combined. Spread on greased baking sheet(she recommends 13x18; I used a jellyroll pan). Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 min, until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.

Frosting
8oz cream cheese
1/4 cup butter, soft
Cream these together until fluffy, then add:
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 bag powdered sugar
Mix until well-whipped. You can thicken by adding more powdered sugar, thin by adding splashes of milk.

Generously frost cooled bars, then top with mounds of fresh berries. I used blueberries, raspberries and strawberries, but I waited a little too long to snap a shot and some obliging nieces and nephews found new homes for the strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment