Thursday, November 12, 2009

Santa Fe Style Rice and Beans




Do you, by any chance, know my friend Reeni? I say my friend not because we've ever met or even talked, but because every time I go to her blog, I feel like I've just come home. Her pictures, her recipes, and her style of writing just take you by the hand, sit you in the overstuffed chair, and hand you a cup of hot chocolate flanked by some homemade dipping cookies. I'm always inspired to cook after I've visited her. Isn't that exactly what a friend does? Inspire you? Comfort you? Feed you? It was on one of my visits to her blog that I saw this little gem. Santa Fe in the title? Oh yeah, I'm cookin' it sister. It turned out just how I imagined it: major comfort food. The rice was a little nutty-tasting from its saute and fragrant with spices, the beans were firm but creamy, the chiles and tomatoes contributed zest and spice, and the sour cream and cheese topping added both creaminess and crustiness. Now I did do it a little differently from Reeni's original recipe, so if you'd like to see her post, click here. Or, if you'd just like to browse, go check out her blog, Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice.


Santa Fe Style Rice and Beans

2 cups long-grain rice, uncooked
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 can black beans, drained
1 can red beans, drained
1 can chopped green chiles
1 can corn
1 can Rotelle diced tomatoes with jalapenos
2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp red chile powder
1 tsp oregano
2-3 cups shredded mozzarella
1-2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle bottom of hot pot with olive oil, then add onions. Saute until beginning to soften. Add rice and stir until fragrant and starting to turn golden. Add garlic, curry and turmeric and stir for another few minutes. Add black beans and 4 cups of water, stir, and let cook uncovered until water level is below rice. Turn heat to low and cover; cook about 15 minutes until rice is done. Spray 9x13 pan with baking spray. Add green chiles, red beans, corn, and tomatoes to rice mixture; season well with salt and pepper. Mix well, and pour into baking dish. Whisk together sour cream, milk, chile powder, oregano, salt and pepper, and pour over the rice. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until cheese is browned. I did mine more than a little browned so that it would have a nice crust on the top; if you like your cheese more melty, keep an eye on it and take it out sooner.

2 comments:

  1. This has to be the sweetest thing anyone has ever said about me! I think we are long lost friends or something! I am so glad you left me a comment. I really like your blog too - it is warm, cozy, and welcoming. Thanks so much for trying out my recipe. I love that you put your own little spin to it. I'll be back to visit - you can't get rid of me now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh baby this looks good! Any variation of Mexican is a good thing. Can't wait to try it out.

    By the way, HAPPY DAY BIRTHDAY BUDDY!

    ReplyDelete