Friday, January 21, 2011

Granola! or, my first Nigella post



I must 'fess up to my heathen past: I was definitely a non-believer when it came to homemade granola. I was perfectly happy with store-bought granola, because no matter what brand I bought, it all pretty much tasted the same to me. I liked it with yogurt, but that's about it. I know people who make their own granola, and I would secretly think it sounded like a waste of time to me, because how could homemade granola be so much better than store-bought? I should have known I was just tempting fate. As I looked through Nigella Lawson's book Feast, I came across her recipe for Andy's Fairfield Granola. Going on the knowledge that I have never been led astray by Nigella, I decided to take the leap of faith and make a batch. Of course, I had to customize her recipe, because that's the best thing about granola, right? I had an inkling that I might be a goner when it was in the oven and my house smelled amazing. It was confirmed when I took my first bite with milk. I'm not afraid to shout it from the rooftops now that I LOVE HOMEMADE GRANOLA!!!! I love just opening the lid on the granola container and smelling it. I have to think of a reason not to eat it during the day(like, I would be embarrased if anyone knew I had three bowls of granola for a little snack). Whenever I'm hungry, it's the first thing I think of eating. In the past week, I've had it for lunch more often than not. I'm already checking to make sure I have the ingredients to make another batch. Ok, this really is getting embarrasing so I'll stop. Here's my tinkered-with recipe; you'll have to refer to Nigella's book for the original.

Granola

4 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup sesame seeds
3/4 cup apple sauce
4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ginger
1/3 cup light Karo syrup
1/4 cup honey
4 Tbs molasses
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups nuts(1/2 almonds, 1/2 pecans)
1 cup dried unsweetened coconut
1 cup dried bananas, chopped
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 cups golden raisins

Mix everything except the raisins in a large bowl. Spread the mixture out on two baking sheets and bake in a 300 degree oven for 40-60 minutes, until it turns golden. Stir around the granola halfway through, and switch the positions of the pans. Allow to cool and mix in the raisins. Store airtight.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I wish I could pull up a chair at your kitchen table today!

    ReplyDelete