Sunday, May 24, 2009

Grilled Chicken with Roasted Asparagus and Pasta





I love cooks that inspire me, and Giada de Laurentis is one of them. Every time I watch her show, I want to go cook something fresh and delicious, something that calls my family to the table and invites rays of sunshine to illuminate the tantalizing spread. I don't even eat that much italian! So this is what I made for dinner after watching her show today.
Chicken:
Frozen bag of pre-marinated garlic chicken breasts, grilled(from frozen!)on a med-hot grill until middle is not pink.

Asparagus:
Preheat oven to 400. Rinse spears. Grasp spear on bottom of stalk and just below flowerhead. Bend until it snaps; discard bottom piece. Continue until all spears are snapped. Lay in one layer on baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil. Roast until stalks are tender-crisp. Remove from oven and drizzle with balsalmic vinegar.

Pasta:
Cook long pasta of your choice per directions. In saute pan, fry 5 bacon slices until crispy. Remove from pan, crumble and set aside. Drizzle in some olive oil. Add 2 cans diced tomatoes or 1 big can whole tomatoes. Crush with back of spoon or masher until chunky but blended. Season with salt, pepper, sugar, 3-5 dashes of Tobasco, and garlic. Simmer about 10-15 minutes, adding a little water or chicken broth if necessary to keep from drying out. Add in bacon bits and toss in pasta. Top with fresh shredded parmesan and chopped basil.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you could roast asparagus. Sounds scrumptious! I'll be trying that one soon now that asparagus isn't a kazillion dollars a pound.

    ReplyDelete