Monday, May 25, 2009

Mile-High Strawberry Pie with Coconut Crust



As I walked by 4-foot high pallets stacked with boxes of big, beautiful strawberries, I thought to myself, How can I let Memorial Day go by without a fresh strawberry pie? I couldn't, that's how. A nice, flaky crust, loaded with sweet coconut, filled to overflowing with whole berries enrobed in a strawberry glaze, topped off with freshly-whipped vanilla cream. I LOVE FRESH STRAWBERRY PIE! And I know I'm not the ONLY one....

Crust:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 Tbs sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3 Tbs cold water(2 tsp of which are apple cider vinegar)
1/3 and half again oil
1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut

In 9-inch pie pan, mix flour, salt, coconut and sugar with a fork. Make a well in the middle. Add water(mixed with the vinegar)and oil to well. Mix with a fork just until blended. Using fingers, press out dough over bottom of pan and up sides. Crimp dough at the top. Prick on bottom and sides with fork. Bake in 375 oven until set and beginning to brown. Remove to counter and cool.

Glaze:
1 cup sugar
3 Tbs cornstarch
2 cups water
1 4-serving size strawberry jello

Mix sugar and cornstarch in saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Cook on med-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in jello mix until dissolved. Cool to room temperature.

Whipped cream:
2 cups cold whipping cream
2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbs sugar

Combine all ingredients in bowl. Whisk or whip until cream is light and airy.

To assemble, gently fold strawberries(I used almost a whole 64-oz box)into the glaze. Carefully pour into pie shell. Refrigerate until set, a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment