Saturday, October 24, 2009

Chocolate Coconut Layer Cake



This week has been birthday central here! Not only was it my grandma's birthday, it was also my dad's and my honey's! One of Scott's all-time favorite flavor combinations is chocolate and coconut, so I created this cake for him. I got the recipe for the cake itself from The Repressed Pastry Chef, and the frosting recipe I just googled for a good high-humidity recipe. I can't say enough how good Dorie Greenspan's cake is. It has an amazingly light and silky crumb, tender and moist and so delicious. I couldn't imagine it getting any better, but unbelievably, it did: the second day. I have no words. Scott thinks this might have been his best birthday cake ever.

From Dorie Greenspan’s “Baking: From My Home to Yours”

Makes 12 to 14 servings

For the Cake

•2 1/4 cups cake flour(I used regular flour, minus 2 Tbs per cup of flour)
•1 tablespoon baking powder
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1 1/4 cups whole milk or buttermilk(I used whole)
•4 large egg whites
•1 1/2 cups sugar
•2 teaspoons grated lemon zest(I omitted)
•1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
•1/2 teaspoon pure lemon extract(I used 2 tsp coconut extract)

To Make The Cake: Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.

Whisk together the milk and egg whites in a medium bowl.

Put the sugar and lemon zest in a mixer bowl or another large bowl and rub them together with your fingers until the sugar is moist and fragrant. Add the butter and, working with the paddle or whisk attachment, or with a hand mixer, beat at medium speed for a full 3 minutes, until the butter and sugar are very light. Beat in the extract, then add one third of the flour mixture, still beating on medium speed. Beat in half of the milk-egg mixture, then beat in half of the remaining dry ingredients until incorporated. Add the rest of the milk and eggs, beating until the batter is homogeneous, then add the last of the dry ingredients. Finally, give the batter a good 2-minute beating to ensure that it is thoroughly mixed and well aerated. Divide the batter between the two pans and smooth the tops with a rubber spatula.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the cakes are well risen and springy to the tough – a thin knife inserted into the centers should come out clean. Transfer the cakes to cooling racks and cool for about 5 minutes, then run a knife around the sides of the cakes, unmold them and peel off the paper liners. Invert and cool to room temperature right side up. (The cooled cake layers can be wrapped airtight and stored at room temperature overnight or frozen for up to 2 months.)

For the Frosting

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter, room temp
1 tsp vanilla(I used coconut extract)
4 cups powdered sugar(I used 3 1/2 cups sugar and 1/2 cup cocoa powder)
2 Tbs milk
2 Tbs corn starch

Cream shortening and butter. Mix in vanilla. Add sugar 1 cup at a time. Combine milk and cornstarch; add to icing and beat until fluffy.

For the Filling and Topping

1 jar Nutella
flaked coconut
Almond Joy candy bars, cut in half

To Assemble

Place one cake layer flat side up on plate. Frost with Nutella. Place other cake layer on top, with flat side down. Frost top and sides with chocolate frosting. Place candy bars, cut side down, around top of cake. Press coconut onto top and sides.


I know, it's a bad picture, but I had to show what the whole enchilada looked like!

3 comments:

  1. Oh that cake looks divine!! I might have to try that recipe out!

    Visiting from SITS! I hope you'll come by and enter my giveaway!

    Angie
    Nana's Box

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Big Brother! If your cake was any indicator of how your day was it looks like it was awesome. Man, that cake looks like a killer. I think I know what I want now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks nice and good hmmm I should try it - sigh - i have so many recipes to try and still haven't tried them yet!

    ReplyDelete