Thursday, August 4, 2011

Bacon-Wrapped Honey Mustard Chicken



I know, it's only been 2 days since my last post. I'm on a roll! I'm fired up! I'm gung-ho! I'm loving summer! Yes, that totally makes sense. I love the food permissiveness that summer encourages. It's almost like when your husband goes on a trip and you don't even consider making a menu, because you know your chitlins will be UBER excited that you're letting them eat sugar cereal every night. Ahhhhh, yes, the lazy days of summer. And why is it that grilling does NOT feel like cooking? It's just too easy, but the payoff is huge. Take last night, for instance. I knew I was going to grill the Bacon-Wrapped Honey Mustard Chicken, but that was as far as my planning went. The result? A pan brimming with this succulent pork-enshrined poultry, and a bowl of cherries. Ok, I lied; I didn't even bother with the bowl. The cherries were left in their plastic case. When I called my family into the kitchen, my husband looked at the dinner line-up and said "Chicken and cherries, huh?", but I could see that little smile he was trying to suppress. I suppose he thought that he couldn't be seen as supporting such a blatant display of dinner wantonness, but I saw that little twinkle that was brought on by visions of a plate heaped with grilled bacon-wrapped meat and cherries(he loves cherries). And oh my, what amazing meat this was. I got the marinade recipe from Pioneer Woman(no, I didn't change anything, so she totally gets the credit for that), and the bacon robe just seemed logical to me. The result was this succulent, sweet and savory, smoky addiction. Just be warned, you'll eat more than you think. Hehehe.


BACON-WRAPPED HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN

Marinade:
1/2 cup mustard(not the american yellow, please!)
1/2 cup honey
juice of one small lemon
1/2 tsp chile powder or paprika
1/2 tsp salt
crushed red pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a ziploc. Add 6 chicken breasts that have been cut into pieces about the size of your palm. Marinade a few hours. Remove chicken from marinade. Wrap each piece with one piece of bacon and secure with toothpicks(I made the mistake of thinking the bacon would stay on by itself). Grill over medium heat for a total of 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally so the bacon doesn't burn. WARNING: THE BACON WILL MAKE YOUR GRILL REALLY SMOKE! Voila, dinner is served. Sides optional.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so good! Looks like while we've got Garret with his chicken allergy, you're going to town on your chicken recipes. I'm going to for sure try this soon. Thanks, for always being a place I can go to to find something yummy!

    ReplyDelete