Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Shrimp, Bacon and Avocado Salad



Well, today is another big day for our family. My oldest daughter, Mailee, is 15 1/2 today, which means that when I am done posting this recipe, we are taking a trip to the DMV so that she can take the test for her permit. I know this is so cliche, but my! how time flies. My sister-in-law Carrie had her fifth baby yesterday (Happy Birthday Jack!), and looking at his picture reminded me how it seems like it was just yesterday I was bringing home my babies. Have you seen that commercial where the dad is holding the car keys, standing outside the car door and giving his daughter some last minute driving tips? Then it shows her daughter in the driver's seat, and she's about 4 years old. When he finally hands her the keys, she's really 16. I totally get it! I'm posting this recipe in honor of Mailee's big day. Why? Because she hates shrimp. It's ok, you don't have to see my reasoning. Let's just say there will be some laughing and hitting involved when she reads this. After all, I can't let her get too big for her britches yet....


SHRIMP, BACON AND AVOCADO SALAD
(adapted from Perry's Plate)

32-40 raw shrimp, tail on (I buy the bag of frozen, and defrost before using)
2 avocados, peeled, pitted and chunked(save 1/2 avocado for dressing)
1 lb bacon, chopped into pieces and cooked
a handful freshly shaved Parmesan
24 oz salad greens
grape tomatoes, halved

Grill the shrimp on medium heat. You can do this by skewering them, cooking them in a grill basket, or just putting them loose on the grill. They're done when they're pink and show nice grill marks. Toss them with the rest of the salad ingredients.

Ok, you have a few options for the dressing. I tried it with the Tangy Avocado Dressing that came with the recipe, but I was not happy with it. It was really thick and rich (not enough tang or flavor for me), which, combined with the avocado chunks, shrimp and cheese was just too much for me. I would strongly recommend dressing this with some salt, freshly ground pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette. BUT, here's the original dressing recipe:

Tangy Avocado Dressing

1/2 avocado from original 2
1 green onion, sliced
3 Tbs sour cream
3 Tbs mayo or plain yogurt
1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs agave nectar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
salt and pepper
Blend in food processor until smooth. Adjust seasonings.

Serves 8

2 comments:

  1. I miss you guys! I miss my calling with Mailee in Young Women. Give her a big hug for me and tell her happy 15 1/2 birthday for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved your latest posts...and I am so excited for Mailee to get her permit, yay!

    by the way I am not prepared on the groceries to make a fabulous meal tonight so can we come to your house for dinner? thanks you're da best :)

    ReplyDelete