Monday, April 27, 2009

Jeanie's Corn Bread

Hands down, THE BEST cornbread I've ever eaten. Now, of the two schools of thought on this subject--sweet vs. savory--I am definitely of the sweet persuasion. And yes, I have had Marie Callendar's cornbread(yes, at the restaurant, not the freezer section or box kind) and I like this better. Hopefully it goes without saying that this is best eaten slathered in (real) butter and honey or jam.

1/2 cup butter, soft or melted
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Beat butter, sugar and eggs until lemony-colored and thickly fluffy. Mix in milk. Add dry ingredients. Mix in well. Bake at 375 degrees: about 15 minutes in muffin tins, about 30 minutes in a greased 9x13 pan(bake just until center doesn't jiggle when you shake the pan; top may not necessarily be brown).

2 comments:

  1. Yes, YES! I totally agree. My kids think they're getting cake for dinner when we have corn bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, they're probably not too far from the truth. Maybe we should rename your mom's recipe Corn Cake!

    ReplyDelete